Elemental Stone Replicas

Part 1 – Preparing the Stone Structures

FloraCraft Foam Block 1.8 Inch x 11.8 Inch x 17.8 Inch White
FloraCraft Foam Block 1.8 Inch x 11.8 Inch x 17.8 Inch White

Based on the relative proportions of the stones in the movie, I made a best-guess estimate of the dimensions. Each stone has two short side and one long side in the back. All three sides start out the same size but because the front edge of the triangle is flattened two of the sides end of shorter. I cut the rigid foam boards into 12 equal rectangles of … dimensions. Each of the stones will start out as equilateral triangles so my next step was to cut the lengthwise edges at approximately 30 degree angles so that the three sides would butt together cleanly.

The First Seams

I then split the sides into four equal groups and tweaked the joints within each set so that they were custom fitted to one another. The fate of each side had been decided. I labeled the bottom of each side to indicate which side of which stone each piece was. I glued the front edge of each stone together using white glue and Mod Podge. While drying, the three sides were held together using rubber bands to ensure the joint dried at the correct angle. After the front joint was cured, I used a hack saw, several small files, and a razor blade to trim down the front corner to give it its blunted appearance. This was a very messy and poorly planned task. Looking back I should have just used a hot wire to cleanly cut the foam… oh well.

The Power Switch

Unassembled stone sides
Pre-Assembly

Next I began the task of installing the power switch. I used the Dremel with a drill bit to punch a small hole through the center of the back side. Once the hole was drilled I also cleared a small cavity to house the power switch. I fed the power leads and battery connector wires through the hole and soldered them to the switch. I then pulled back the excess wire and glued the switch housing into the foam cavity which had been cut for it. This could prove problematic if I ever have to replace one of these switches in the future.

The final portion of the stone bodies to be completed was the three flanges located at the top center of each side. After measuring and cutting the flanges from the sides I also tapered the back edge to a point that looked right. This was very tedious work because the small foam flanges were very fragile and at this point I was very please I had chosen not to make them move. I positioned them as best as possible and glued them in place. I was especially generous with the glue around the flanges to give them some additional structural support.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

One thought on “Elemental Stone Replicas

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Proudly powered by WordPress | Theme: Baskerville 2 by Anders Noren.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: